Thank you OBS Project

I am grateful for modern open source solutions. An hour ago I needed to get my mom streaming on The option she was using did not allow her webcam to show. So I did 40 seconds of web searching and discovered Open Broadcast Software. I installed it and ran through the wizard while barely reading what I was doing. A few minutes later she was streaming; both her game and her web cam.

I am glad that my mom is a content creator. I think there is a place on the internet for a senior citizen gamer. She tends to be a leader and a mentor in her gaming communities so she might as well have her little corner and platform. And as a bonus I get to admin her website and support her tech. Of course, I couldn’t do it without good open source projects like Open Broadcast Project.

My mom is online as mhahse57. Find her at and

Interesting bug with my Gigabyte – GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard

I have been dealing with an interesting bug with my Gigabyte – GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard. Each time I upgrade the bios the system forgets my bios settings and I have to reenter them. The Raid setting are maintained, fortunately, so I just have to re-select raid for SATA mode  and it boots again. I’m glad I don’t have a more complicated setup.
Moral of the story: I learned my lesson about making sure to export my bios settings into a profile from now on.

Upgrade after long absence.

I gave my Raspberry Pi 1 B to my nephew for his birthday because he absolutely adores MineCraft. Pis are perfect for children because they are slow enough to not be as addictive as gaming on his mom’s cell phone while still allowing for good educational fun.
And I gave my Raspberry Pi 1 B to my nephew for his birthday so that I could have an excuse to upgrade to a Pi 3. After Christmas I had a chance to put the micro sd card from my Pi 1 into the new Pi 3 and see if it would accept it. It did! I ran updates of raspi-config and apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and all seems to be working well. New hardware would normally be a good time to start a fresh distro but I just recently completed the update to Raspbian Stretch and don’t feel the urge to do it all again.
I am noticing great improvements with the additional 1/2 gig of RAM in the 3. WordPress updates take moments where before I would let them run in the background and move on to other tasks. Also, my backup program, BackWPup would often time out and fail on the Pi 1. I had almost begun questioning if Apache and WordPress on a Pi were good long term solutions. With the Pi 3 I am back on board. I think they are excellent tools for a hobbyist Linixer like me.

Installing Windows on three hard drives

I now have a greater appreciation of how much of a computer’s cost goes into Microsoft Windows. Buying that program pushed me over the $1000 mark on my build. I need Windows on this box though so that I can download and backup One Drive. I will attempt a Linux boot drive later.
Prepared with my new Windows 10 key I sat down with my laptop to download the iso. Interestingly, my laptop would not boot up. I think now that it was in the middle of a major update. Trying to turn it on caused it to lock up hard. Oh well, I have everything backed up I’ll just restore it to factory. I’ve been needing to do a factory restore ever since I was a TA and loaded quite a few random test programs. But now here i was  with two computers and no operating system and no way to download drivers and the iso.
Have no fear, this was not the worst predicament I had been in. Fortunately I had a Kali distro on a thumb drive. It booted right up and I was able to get my downloads but then I could not save them because as soon as I rebooted Kali I would loose everything because I was not set up for permanent storage on my Kali distro. The other problem was that I could not successfully format a boot disk with the iso using linux. I know there are ways to do it but my google skills failed me that night and I was never able to get it to work. Someday I will learn what I did wrong.
I finally conceded failure and used my husband’s laptop to make the iso bootable. (I try not to touch my husband’s laptop. As a tinkerer I’m bound to mess it up in a way he doesn’t like. He doesn’t want bells and whistles, just a computer that works).
I installed windows finally and then tried to set up my raided d drive. Fail fail fail. Nothing I tried worked. I finally realized that I had to set up the RAID before I installed windows. Even though I was not installing windows on a raid disk it still was going to delete my c drive.
I have very little memory of all the steps that I took in the bios menu to get raid set up. It was complicated and mostly done in the late late hours. But I successfully got the two larger drives raided. Then when I installed Windows I was able to choose the non raided SSD to install on. That worked great. What surprised me was that I didn’t have to install the AMD program for hard drives over 2 terabytes. When they were raided the computer saw the drive automatically.
It is now set up exactly how I want it. This is a successful build!